Sunday, October 31, 2010

Return to Sanity

When we heard about the rally we debated about going. We would always prefer to sit on our couch but what kind of example is that for our son...

This past Saturday this was the line to buy tickets to ride the Metro at East Falls Church, VA. We had to catch a train west to be able to squish onto a train east to the National Mall. It was that crowded. When the doors opened at one stop and it was obvious there was no room for anyone else, Mitchell yelled, "If you can make yourself intangible, come aboard!"

The National Mall was packed like sardines. Tuck me in a tin and call me smelly. I only wanted for us to beat the numbers that showed up for Glenn Beck. Of course, there is some debate. The media is reporting 150,000. The National Park service reported closer to 250,000. The Metro reported 600,000 rode that day. Halve that for round trips and the National Park service estimates seem closer to the truth. They reported Beck to have 87,000. I was satisfied.

The highlight for me was when Jon Stewart announced a special guest, Yusuf, known to many of us as Cat Stevens. I wept. Mitchell asked me why I was so emotional and I told him about Cat Stevens and how much his music had always meant to me. My son wrapped his arm around me and we swayed to "Peace Train".



You can read Yusuf's take on the event at his site. After his treatment by our government, it was really poignant for me to witness this in person. I am an Ozzie fan, too.


According to the Christian Science Monitor, they raised hundreds of thousands of dollars without selling a single ticket. All the proceeds made by Jon Stewart went to the Trust for the National Mall. Colbert's share went to DonorsChoose.org, a charitable clearinghouse where teachers can describe classroom needs and donors can pick which project(s) to fund. These two men showed the rest of the media how it is done.

A big shout out to our friend, Jeff, and to his sister, Judith, who let us stay at her place in Arlington. It is a day we three Tagues will never forget. (I am the gray head in the foreground, center.)

4 comments:

Robert Irving said...

You Taguels are aweseome! Thank you for stepping up to represent sanity. I am so proud to call you my dear friends.

Love,
Robert

BEM 325 said...

i love you susan tague.

Anonymous said...

This is comment from Jeff's sister Judith to tell you that I missed this awesome event as I was participating in an amazing festival in Louisiana - Living in DC has taught me that sitting on the couch watching is never a substitute for being among thousands of your new best friends coming together in like mind. We can't sit quietly and watch "others" speak for us...and what better way of making a statement is there then participating in a Rally put on by these guys. Susan - you and yours are always welcome - my home is your home! Judith

RIRI said...

Great posting. We are so lucky to have the Tagues to inspire us. "Morning has broken", another Yosef oldy but goodie, was the song I walked down the isle to 33 years ago. Peace Train gave me goosebump! Thanks Tagues.