Saturday, October 4, 2008

Fatima

Time speeds by with an abundance of work and projects so my blog went by the wayside. I will try to take advantage of the holiday slow down to catch you up on our adventures.....


This is Cabin Nine. We were 16 women calling one cabin, home. Some of the women in this cabin have been my friends for years, counselors and campers alike. Some were new friends to me. All of us are sisters.


This is Kerrie dressed up for dinner on banquet night. Isn't she beautiful? She is resplendent in pink and boy crazy. I have been in cabin with Kerrie before and she once told her counselor that I was a very nice man. Kerrie does have vision issues. I hope that explains it.



This is Gabriella or, more appropriately, "Gabby". She is my favorite cheerleader. She is a lot of fun and up for almost anything. She has been in my cabin a number of times. A few years ago she brought the program from a golf tournament in which she participated. She was pictured on the back with other golfers. She was wearing her visor and holding her favorite putter. I asked what was her handicap. Another camper, Sarah, informed me that Gabby had Down Syndrome. It is conversations like these that make camp interesting.













At camp we have Uno Tournaments where the winner is carried around the dining hall on the shoulders of counselors and subject to accolades that may be missing from their everyday life. To see us come together as a camp to cheer for one camper is an uplifting experience. There are plenty of hugs and condolences for those who don't win.

This is Ben and his counselor Eric. Ben is autistic and sat beside me for meals. He obviously got a lot of snuggles at home because he would snuggle me at almost every meal. I think he missed his mom. We did have to restrain him to get him to take his meds but otherwise he was very cooperative and had a great appetite.


This year I was a relief counselor. That means that all the campers were my campers. Christina spent Tuesday with me while her counselor visited with family. Christina had me dancing and running through a sprinkler and playing limbo. Although, I cannot go as low as I used to go.


Hopefully next year Mitchell will come with me and serve as a waiter. I cannot wait to share camp with my son. I hope he loves it as much as I do and that it is something we can share even after he grows up and away from his father and I. It could happen.

2 comments:

RIRI said...

Yes it could happen. My brother Joe has his girls at camp. Great posting.

Susan said...

It is a joy to watch Joey's girls enjoy their campers and each other as a united front. Kate, Meg and Amy are an inspiration.